Frequently Asked Questions
“What is Mayde Creek Players?”
MCP is our theatre organization which governs all the extracurricular activities of the MCHS’s theatre program. Its primary purpose is to provide students with opportunities to further their knowledge and understanding of the theatrical arts through practical production work. Further, it wishes to work cooperatively with and give back to the surrounding community by providing quality arts programming. The Theatre Company is a student driven, parent/community supported organization.
“Who is eligible to join The Company?
Currently, any student enrolled at Mayde Creek High School is eligible to join.
“What are the Theatre Company’s plans for this year?”
- Click here for our year at a glance.
“If I take a theatre arts class, do I have to join The Company?”
No, but it sure would be a shame for you not to. You can only do so much in class. In Theatre Company you can do and learn even more. Plus, it’s loads of fun.
“If I join The Company, am I automatically in the cast or crew of the plays?”
No. Each play the director(s) will hold auditions for acting roles and interviews for technical positions.
“What’s International Thespian Society?”
ITS also falls under the umbrella of MCP. ITS is an international organization dedicated to young people who are interested in theatre. (See edta.org for more information). You must earn a minimum of ten “Thespian Points” by participating in plays in order to join. Students may be inducted each year at the end of year Theatre Banquet and attend the State Thespian Convention.
“What’s Performance Anxiety?”
A team of students who gather to write an original sketch show. The show is then performed in fast-paced style in which 30 sketches are performed in 60 minutes while the actors do not know the order of the sketches until the audience selects them.
“Can I earn a letter jacket in Theatre?”
Yes you can. It requires earning a set number of Thespian Points and completing an upper-level theatre class. See our by-laws for more details.
“How much does it costs?”
There are some costs involved when joining Theatre Company depending on your level involvement. We always try to keep costs to a minimum.
- $40 for the membership and shirt.
- There is NO ADDITIONAL charge for parents to join the Booster Club. Once your student is a member of the Theatre Company, you are automatically eligible for the Booster Club.
- Students with severe financial hardships may speak to the directors privately.
- Extra costs: Each show you choose be involved in may have additional cost involved (examples: costume rental, meals, and/or cleaning fees.) These fees are assessed per show and determined based on the specific requirements of that show. Other optional costs may include field trip tickets, show shirts, or joining ITS.
“How do I join?”
To join you must:
- Go online to www.mchstheatre.org and click on “Student Handbook.” Read the Policies, Philosophies, and Safety Guidelines.
- Turn in the signed Mayde Creek High School Theatre Company Membership Form and accompanying forms in this packet, and membership dues.
“What are ways to stay informed?”
- Check the “callboard” outside the Black Box daily.
- Make sure to include an email on your membership form.
- Join “Current Mayde Creek HS Theatre Company Members” on Facebook.
- Follow ups on twitter @MCHSTheatreCo.
- Check out our website www.mchstheatre.org
- Parents, come to Booster Club meetings.
- Remind – join @mchstc1718