Frequently Asked Questions
“What is Mayde Creek High School Theatre Company?”
The Theatre Company is our drama club which governs all the extracurricular activities of the MCHS’s theatre program. Its primary purpose is to provide students with opportunities to further their knowledge and understanding of the theatrical arts through practical production work. Further, it wishes to work cooperatively with and give back to the surrounding community by providing quality arts programming. The Theatre Company is a student driven, parent/community supported organization. (Parents, please see the attached information about our Booster Club.)
“Who is eligible to join The Company?
Currently, any student enrolled at Mayde Creek High School is eligible to join The Company.
“What are the Theatre Company’s plans for this year?”
- check back soon for a 2017-2018 revision
“If I take a theatre arts class, do I have to join The Company?”
No, but it sure would be a shame for you not to. You can only do so much in class. In Theatre Company you can do and learn even more. Plus, it’s loads of fun.
“If I join The Company, am I automatically in the cast or crew of the plays?”
No. Each play the director(s) will hold auditions for acting roles and interviews for technical positions.
“What’s ComedySportz High School League?”
ComedySportz High School League (CSzHSL) is competitive improvisational theatre under the guidance of a professional ComedySportz trainer. Improvisational comedy involves a whole group of performers making up scenes and playing games on the spot based on audience suggestions. A CSzHSL match features two or more teams of comedy “actletes” competing for laughs and points, with a referee keeping things moving and calling fouls. Every show is different, with different players, different games, and different audiences supplying new suggestions
“What’s International Thespian Society?”
ITS also falls under the umbrella of the Theatre Company. ITS is an international organization dedicated to young people who are interested in theatre. (See edta.org for more information). You must earn a minimum of ten “Thespian Points” by participating in plays in order to join. Students may be inducted each year at the end of year Theatre Banquet. This year we plan on going to the Texas Thespian Convention.
“What’s Performance Anxiety?”
A team of students who gather to write an original sketch show. The show is then performed in fast-paced style in which 30 sketches are performed in 60 minutes while the actors do not know the order of the sketches until the audience selects them.
“Can I earn a letter jacket in Theatre?”
Yes you can. It requires earning a set number of Thespian Points and completing an upper-level theatre class. See our by-laws for more details.
“Who are the sponsors/directors of The Theatre Company?”
Mr. Kelley Hughes is the Head Theatre Director and Performing Arts Center Manager. This year Mr. Hughes begins his 17th year teaching and his 12th year at MCHS. Previously, he taught at Beck Junior High where he was the head director of KISD’s largest and most active junior high theatre program. His last two years at BJH he served as Department Chair for Fine Arts. He holds a BA in Musical Theatre from West Texas A&M University and an MFA in Staging Shakespeare from the University of Exeter, England. He has been nominated for Teacher of the Year several times at BJH and MCHS and has been recognized five times as an “Outstanding Teacher” at the KISD Awards of Excellence. He acted professionally in Dallas and directed at community theatres throughout the state. He and his wife are the proud parents of three children.
Ms. Tammy Reed is the Assistant/Technical Theatre Director. This year marks her 18th year in education and 8th year at MCHS. Prior to moving to the Creek, she was the Program Director at Pasadena Memorial and Sabine Pass high schools. She was also the Technical Director at Mansfield Summit High School and the Costume Designer at Mansfield High School. Under her direction students have won 22 Tommy Tunes and Betty Buckley nominations taking home Best Scenic Design and Best Costume Design. Her student have advanced to Area three times and Regionals once in UIL OAP Competition. She holds an MA in the Theatre Directing from Roosevelt University and a BA in both English and Communication from Fort Hays University. She is the proud parent of four and grandmother of three.
“How much does it costs?”
There are some costs involved when joining Theatre Company depending on your level involvement. We always try to keep costs to a minimum.
- $40 for the membership and shirt.
- There is NO ADDITIONAL charge for parents to join the Booster Club. Once your student is a member of the Theatre Company, you are automatically eligible for the Booster Club.
- Students with severe financial hardships may speak to Mr. Hughes privately.
- Extra/Optional costs: Each show you choose be involved in may have additional cost involved (examples: costume rental, meals, and/or cleaning fees.) These fees are assessed per show and determined based on the specific requirements of that show. Other optional costs may include field trip tickets, show shirts, joining ITS or joining ComedySportz HSL.
“How do I join?”
To join you must:
- Go online to www.mchstheatre.org and click on “Student Handbook.” Read the Policies, Philosophies, and Safety Guidelines.
- Turn in the signed Mayde Creek High School Theatre Company Membership Form and accompanying forms in this packet, and membership dues.
“What are ways to stay informed?”
- Check the “callboard” outside the Black Box daily.
- Make sure to include an email on your membership form.
- Join “Current Mayde Creek HS Theatre Company Members” on Facebook.
- Follow ups on twitter @MCHSTheatreCo.
- Check out our website www.mchstheatre.org
- Parents, come to Booster Club meetings.
- Remind – join @mchstc1718